web analytics
My Experience with Caputo "00" Rinforzato - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

My Experience with Caputo "00" Rinforzato

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Experience with Caputo "00" Rinforzato

A work colleague recently bought a 25kg bag of "Caputo Red" (which I assume to be the above) from an Italian food importer, and was kind enough to give me 5 kilos of it.

So... I made the dough as I usually do, pretty much as per the FB recipe, expecting maybe a slight difference in taste [from the Allinson Strong White Bread Flour] but not much else.

I could not believe the difference in workability, elasticity and evenness compared with the usual stuff. For the first time ever I was able to stretch out a perfectly circular base! Also, there were no accidents or rejects, which for me was unprecedented.

Once cooked, I noticed that the texture was also much softer than normal.

I couldn't really say that it tasted much different, but if you're struggling to get consistent results with regular bread flour then maybe this is the secret.

Re: My Experience with Caputo "00" Rinforzato

Not sure what Allinson Strong like is but strong typically means a high protein content, I believe (at least in the US), in which case the Caputo Red may be a very different flour from Caputo. Caputo has a relatively low protein content, as well as being more finely ground than typical flour (at least typical in the US). I had much the same experience as you switching from King Arthur Bread flour, an American high protein flour. I've used Caputo ever since.

Karl

Comment

Working...
    X