1 lb potatoes, washed, scrubbed and cut into quarters or sixths
3 cups any greens -- lettuce, chard, kale, arugula, mustard, etc
4 TBS cooking olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and chopped
2 tsp rosemary
Salt and pepper
1. Rinse and roughly chop your greens. The idea is to use up old salad and vegetables that are nice enough to eat, but not good enough to feature in a fresh dish.
2. Add 2 TBS olive olive and garlic to a steel, cast iron or aluminum pan and set in a hot oven for a few minutes. Don't burn the garlic.
3. Add the greens and cook for a few minutes, until the moisture is gone and greens are reduced. They should be dry, but not burned.
4. Add 2 TBS olive oil and potatoes. Mix the green and the potatoes, and make sure the potatoes are coated.
5. Place in a moderately hot oven for 30-45 minutes. If the tops are browning too fast, cover with foil, then remove the foil for the last 15 minutes. Don't turn the potatoes and greens after they have started cooking, because you want a nice brown, crunchy bottom of the dish.
Hints and Tips
We do not peel our potatoes, or parboil them.
You can make this recipe work with either a steel or terra cotta pan. It depends on how hot your oven is, and how brown you like the bottom (of the potatoes).
Back to Recipe Index