Serve 1-2 skewers per person with Pistachio-Parsley-Mint Pesto on the side.
- 1 lb mixed peppers
- 1 lb red or purple potatoes
- 1 medium globe eggplant
- 4 small zucchini
- 3 yellow sunburst squash
- 4 torpedo onions
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- A dozen 8’ rosemary stalks, 5’ or so stripped of leaves for skewering
Preheat your oven, and let the temperature fall to 450ºF, keeping a bed of coals.
Parboil the potatoes for 5 minutes just to start the cooking.
Slice vegetables into big chunks suitable for skewers and grilling, and toss all the vegetables in olive oil and lightly salt and pepper.
Thread onto skewers in an assortment, and place the skewers on a preheated Tuscan Grill over hot coals.
Cook for 5 minutes or so and then turn. Continue to grill and turn until the vegetables are cooked through. Remove from the oven or grill and set aside to cool slightly.
Makes 3 cups
- 1/2 cup shelled roasted pistachios
- 3 cloves roasted garlic
- 1/2 tsp capers, rinsed and drained
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 cups coarsely-chopped Italian parsley leaves (lightly packed)
- 2 cups fresh mint leaves - (lightly packed)
- 1 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
Rub nuts in a towel to remove any loose skins. Lift nuts from towel and place in a food processor or blender. Add parsley, mint, and oil; whirl until finely ground. Add salt to taste. Use, or cover and chill up to 2 days. Freeze airtight in small portions to store longer.
Courtesy Mary Karlin 2006.
Back to Recipe Index