- 1 1/2 lb eggplant, sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 cup toasted bread crumbs
- 1/4 Tbs almond meal
- 2 red peppers, roasted, peeled and seeded
- 3 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 head roasted garlic, mashed
- 1 Tbs fresh thyme leaves
- Pinch of sugar
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 12 oz herb-crusted goat cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup oil-cured black olives, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves
Preheat your oven, then let the temperature fall to 375ºF - 400ºF.
Sauté the eggplant slices in olive oil for 2 minutes on each side. Set aside on paper towels to drain. Lightly salt.
Cut red peppers into pieces similar to the eggplant slices.
Combine the tomatoes with the mashed garlic, thyme and salt, sugar and pepper to taste.
Brush a casserole with olive oil and dust with a mixture of bread crumbs and almond meal. Set remainder of crumb mixture aside for later use.
Line the casserole with one third of the tomato mixture. Then layer on slices of eggplant, followed by goat cheese, then red pepper then bread crumbs followed by sliced olives. Salt and pepper each layer as you go.
Repeat layers, finishing the casserole with tomatoes, parsley, goat cheese and the bread crumb mixture on top.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes before portioning and serving.
Courtesy Mary Karlin 2006
Back to Recipe Index