4 lb chicken
1 onion, quartered
2 fennel bulbs
1 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed and chopped
1/2 cup white wine
4 TBS cooking olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1. Rinse the chicken, pad dry, and sprinkle the cavity with salt and pepper. Place the herbs inside the cavity, and set the chicken on the bed of vegetables. Rub the chicken with the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
2. Cut the top off the fennel bulbs. Set the chicken on a terra cotta baking dish, then oil the top of the chicken, and press the fennel greens and garlic into the chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Bake for 30 minutes with a small fire on the side (if your oven needs the heat). The moisture in the oven means that you not need to baste. If your oven is too hot, cover the chicken with foil (or just the tips) to keep the skin from burning.
4. Cut the fennel bulb into quarters and boil for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the drained fennel and the white wine to the pan, and return the pan to the oven for an additional 30 minutes. The wine should reduce to a rich sauce.
6. Prick the thigh with a fork -- if the juices run clear, the chicken is cooked. Transfer to a serving platter.
Back to Recipe Index.