The Wood-Fired Blog

Cuisinart Mixer Update

A quick update on my Cuisinart mixer. First, I made the commitment of recycling the shipping boxes for the mixer, so I guess you could say that I have burned my bridges and I’m going to make this work. My wife asked if I was ready to get rid of the boxes, and my honest answer is that I’m not completely thrilled with either mixer and that both have serious drawbacks, and that I am ready to learn more about the new one.

I’m not certain whether it was the hassle of returning the Cuisinart, or the fact that I like the timer. Either way, it doesn’t matter. The next step up in stand mixers appears to be a $2,000+ small commercial mixer, and I’m just not ready for that.

The second piece of information is that I had something of a success in my “do not touch the mixer’ experiment. I pretty much successfully mixed and kneaded a 1kg batch of whole wheat with oat bran and flax seeds by adding the water first. As I sat there staring at the bread attachment going round and round, I realized that while the mixing motion does not seem to be as efficient as the KitchenAid (it takes a lot long to incorporate all of the flour into the dough), it did eventually get there. Without any intervention from me.

But. It took 15 minutes. There were still large amounts of flour not mixed into my dough after a full 10 minutes.

So for now, I am going to set my timer to 15. Leave the room, and hope that it works.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *